Angola Airlines passenger plane forced to divert after ‘crew were informed ground worker had gone missing’
- Aircraft was travelling from Portugal to Angola and when it was diverted
- Ground staff is said to have passed out while handling animals in cargo bay
- TAAG Angola Airlines operated flight took off with him still trapped inside
A passenger plane travelling from Portugal to Angola was forced to divert after a ground worker loading cargo onto the aircraft was discovered missing.
The flight, operated by TAAG Angola Airlines, was scheduled to travel from Porto to Luanda on Saturday.
It was already en-route when the crew were informed of the possibility that the member of staff was trapped in the cargo hold and was forced to make a ‘rapid descent’ into Lisbon.
A passenger plane travelling from Portugal to Angola was forced to divert after a ground worker loading cargo onto the aircraft was discovered missing (file photo)
Flight tracking on Flightradar24 showed the aircraft flying in a south-easterly direction from Porto before turning back to land in Lisbon
Flight DT-655, which left Porto at 10.14am local time, was approximately 60 nautical miles (69 miles) south east of Lisbon when crew were informed about the missing ground worker.
TAAG pilots decided to divert the flight to Lisbon where, after a rapid descent, the aircraft landed 18 minutes later.
The ground worker was reportedly found in the cargo hold and suffering from hypothermia.
He was taken to hospital and said to be recovering from the incident.
According to the Aviation Herald report, the ground handling agency said the worker was loading a passenger’s pets when he fell and became unconscious.
He was discovered to be missing 40 minutes later according to the report, at which point the aircraft had already taken off with him locked inside.
An investigation has been launched into the incident according to the report.
MailOnline Travel has contacted TAAG Angola Airlines and Porto Airport for comment.
The flight, operated by TAAG Angola Airlines, was scheduled to travel from Porto to Luanda in Angola on Saturday
- SHARE PICTURE
- ^ e-mail (www.dailymail.co.uk)
- ^ Aviation Herald (avherald.com)
- ^ Flightradar24 (www.flightradar24.com)
- ^ Russian mother jumps to her death holding her eight-year-old son after her husband kept ‘oinking’ at her when plastic surgery gave her ‘a nose like a pig’ (www.dailymail.co.uk)