Logistics And Frieght Forwarding

Spain reviewing refuelling permission for Russian warships

NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg briefs the media during a NATO defence ministers meeting at the Alliance headquarters in Brussels, Belgium, October 26, 2016. REUTERS/Francois Lenoir

MADRID Spain is reviewing a request by a Russian flotilla to refuel in its North African enclave of Ceuta, the foreign ministry said as Madrid drew criticism from NATO allies for assisting warships they believe could be used to target civilians in Syria.

NATO is monitoring the eight-strong carrier battle group from northern Russia on its way to the eastern Mediterranean, where alliance officials fear it will launch fighter bombers to hit rebels in northwestern Syria early in November.

“The latest stopover requests are being reviewed at the moment based on the information we are receiving from our allies and from Russian authorities,” the ministry said in a statement.

In Brussels, NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said it was up to Spain to decide whether to refuel a Russian tanker travelling with the carrier battle group, but that NATO had expressed its concern to allies, including Madrid.

“We are concerned about the potential use of this carrier group to increase attacks against civilians in Aleppo,” Stoltenberg said, referring to the war-ravaged Syrian city where government forces are besieging its rebel-controlled eastern half. “All allies are aware of our concerns.”

British Defence Secretary Michael Fallon told reporters in Brussels that London would be “extremely concerned that any NATO member should consider assisting a Russian carrier group that might end up bombing Syrian civilians … On the contrary, NATO should be standing together.”

Britain has raised concerns with Spain over the possible refuelling of Russian warships on their way to Syria, a spokeswoman for Prime Minister Theresa May said on Wednesday, adding that the situation was being monitored closely.

There was no immediate Russian comment on the matter.

“SERIOUSLY?”

Former Belgian prime minister Guy Verhofstadt, who leads the Liberal bloc in the European Parliament, said on Twitter: “Spain signed EU statement on Russian war crimes in Aleppo last week; today helps refuel fleet on way to commit more atrocities. Seriously?”

Spain granted permission for three Russian navy ships to dock in Ceuta several weeks ago, according to El Pais newspaper.

It quoted Spanish diplomatic sources as saying permission would be revoked if Spain confirmed that the three ships were part of the Russian fleet headed for Syria.

The Foreign Ministry said Spain had been allowing Russian navy vessels to dock in Spanish ports for years, treating such requests on a case-by-case basis.

It was unclear on Wednesday whether any of the Russian ships would actually call in at Ceuta. The MarineTraffic web site showed the Osipov, a Russian cargo ship that is one of the fleet’s support vessels, had sailed well past Ceuta.

The naval group, which passed through the English Channel on Friday, is made up of Russia’s sole aircraft carrier Admiral Kuznetsov, as well as a nuclear-powered battle cruiser, two anti-submarine warships and four support vessels, likely escorted by submarines, according to NATO officials.

The naval deployment is carrying dozens of fighter bombers and helicopters and is expected to join around 10 other Russian vessels already off the Syrian coast, diplomats said.

Washington’s envoy to NATO said Russia was within its right to move vessels through international waters. But U.S.

Ambassador Douglas Lute raised concern that the aircraft carrier would be used to contribute to bombing of civilian targets around Aleppo.

(Reporting by Rodrigo de Miguel, Sarah White and Adrian Croft; Editing by Mark Heinrich)

Next In World News

Russia confirms withdrawal of request for ships to refuel in Spain – RIA

MOSCOW The Russian embassy in Spain confirmed on Wednesday that Moscow had withdrawn a request for a group of warships to refuel in the Spanish port of Ceuta, the RIA news agency reported.

South African universities get an extra £1.2 billion to improve student enrollment

CAPE TOWN Students at South African universities and higher education institutions will receive an extra 17 billion rand (£1.2 billion or 983.3 million pounds) over the next three years, Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan said on Wednesday.

25 migrants found dead in rubber boat in Mediterranean – MSF

ROME Aid group Doctors Without Borders (MSF) said on Wednesday 25 migrant men and women were found dead at the bottom of a rubber boat in the Mediterranean, and 107 survivors were rescued from the same raft.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*