Two ships from Ukraine and Russia dock at the Mombasa port full of yellow maize
– Two ships has docked at the port of Mombasa from Russia carrying 74,000 tonnes of yellow maize
– Although the yellow maize is bay fact more nutritious, Kenyans frown upon it because it is fed to cows in the Western countries
– In March, Ukraine had revealed that the Kenyan government had intended to import 450,000 metric tonnes of yellow maize for KSh 10 billion
– It is the first time that Kenya has imported yellow maize since 2011
On Monday, June 12 two cargo ships from Ukraine and Russia docked at the Mombasa port. They were carrying approximately 74,000 tonnes of Yellow maize.
Almost immediately, social media went ablaze. Kenyans started posting frantically that the maize was basically cow-feed.
Yellow maize being offloaded in Mombasa.
The maize comes three months after the government declined to comments on a presser from Ukraine that Kenya was importing maize at a cost of KSh 10 billion.
The maize which has since been offloaded comes at a time when the subsidized cooking flour has gone missing from the shelves in stores.
Yet again, Kenyans have had to grapple with the biting cost of Unga that has soared to between KSh 120-KSh 150 per packet.
One of the ships from Russia docking in Mombasa. Photo: Nation
Last month, Kenyan millers imported maize from Mexico to help alleviate the food crisis in Kenya.
The maize flour was sold to Kenyans for a subsidized rate of KSh 90 but did little to quell the demand for the flour across Kenya.
Is yellow maize cow-feed?
While yellow maize is used to feed cows in the Western countries, it is known to be more nutritional than white maize.
The hatred for the yellow maize in Kenya stems from the claims that it is cow feed and only gets imported during a food crisis.
The fact that it is also given to victims of drought and calamities does not make it any easier on the ever-curious Kenyans.
This Kenyan guy speaks 8 foreign languages. Watch the video below:
Have something to add to this article or suggestions?
Send to [email protected]
- ^ Raila and Kalonzo differ in public over support for individual parties (www.tuko.co.ke)
- ^ Uhuru Kenyatta attacks NASA in Nandi (www.tuko.co.ke)
- ^ Jubilee MP clobbers rival, pulls out his leg in nasty fight inside Radio station (www.tuko.co.ke)